[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
JB's lowest musical moment - Alino Kizaza  XML
Forum Index » African Music
Yvonne

[Avatar]

Tamando wrote:Ivininha Greatest undercover agent of BCBG
Tamandinho, I like BCBG... Jb's my favorite singer... Kipe Ya Yo is a great album... KIE KIE KIE KIE...

Tamando

[Avatar]

Chat Noir wrote:During the last few months whilst enjoying JB's long awaited Kipe Ya Yo I have frequently skipped track 4 in order to reach the likeable "Sans Permission".

In order to give track 4 "Alino Kizaza" a fair chance I have just listened carefully to it three times in succession. My conclusion is that this may well be the lowest musical moment in JB's long career. I don't know what he was thinking in allowing this turgid nonsense to appear on the final mix of the album. The vocal arrangement is embarrasing and the musical accompaniment muddy, flat and dreary.

In the past Papa Wemba has often attempted to place some of his music in a more universal commercial sphere by recording pretentious Europop ballads. God help us if JB believes that he too can gain some listeners in this musical field.

Koffi remains the King of the laviciously produced romantic and ornate Congolese musical opus. His productions are always sufficiently sharp and clean to allow him to just about get away with this "alien" musical direction. Sadly JB's attempt on this track fails abysmally. I'm all in favour of a little experimentation but in JB's case I wish he would stick to what he does best.

Seems the forum is unanimous about the song....... I'm not gonna argue with that

One point does not escape my notice though: your wording of the title is fishy for someone who seems to have spent the last few weeks "enjoying" KYY. Moreover, it seems a bit catchy to me that your only thread on this forum is opened to announce JB's lowest moment........ you are politically correct but your motives are fishy........... trying to get back at BCBG fans that have been getting on your nerves for months and months about KYY huh?
Tamando

[Avatar]

Yvonne wrote:
Tamando wrote:Ivininha Greatest undercover agent of BCBG
Tamandinho, I like BCBG... Jb's my favorite singer... Kipe Ya Yo is a great album... KIE KIE KIE KIE...

sssssshhhhhhhh, Yvininha, don't blow your cover so soon. we might still need you for other important jobs like setting fire on Zamba Playa
Yvonne

[Avatar]

Tamando wrote:
Yvonne wrote:Tamandinho, I like BCBG... Jb's my favorite singer... Kipe Ya Yo is a great album... KIE KIE KIE KIE...
sssssshhhhhhhh, Yvininha, don't blow your cover so soon. we might still need you for other important jobs like setting fire on Zamba Playa
KIE KIE KIE KIE Tamandinho, I just have received the strict order from Planète to log out...

Prof_Nuna

[Avatar]

This really tells how different our ears really can be. For the first time, I played only KYY everyday for one week back to back (it is sweet all through). Yes, Alino ... is a different song but certainly to some who do not understand JB music. I personally and many JB fans have enjoyed the contributions of Rio and his contributions here on this song is not new material. You may not like Rio but JB is the master in voices. He knows how to arrange vocals in a song. What you consider worst is our masterpiece. KYY has shown and will confirm to the Kinshasa crowd that not only can the young likes of Ferre and Fally thrive without much sebenes but that JB also made the classics classics. And Alino falls in that group. I think JB listened to much to some fans who wanted sebenes in generiques and slow songs elsewhere.
Ronald

[Avatar]

I also played it for days on end but then gave it a rest until today, my first impression of the cd has not changed, I still do like the ones I liked at first and still do not like the ones I didn't , so maybe first impressions are still the best.
Chat Noir

[Avatar]

Tamando wrote:One point does not escape my notice though: your wording of the title is fishy for someone who seems to have spent the last few weeks "enjoying" KYY. Moreover, it seems a bit catchy to me that your only thread on this forum is opened to announce JB's lowest moment........ you are politically correct but your motives are fishy........... trying to get back at BCBG fans that have been getting on your nerves for months and months about KYY huh?

Nothing really fishy Tamando. I just tell it like I see it. I'm a long-term fan of JB, but the song sucks and even the majority of JB's sycophants seem to agree.

I quite like parts of the album but I will not hide my general overall disappointment. Apart from some poor singing and some uninspired tunes on several tracks there is also the problem of the low budget recording. It's sad to see that JB has struggled for compositional inspiration in recent years and now clearly faces lack of funds to allow him a top quality Paris studio.
Dr.Frank

Chat Noir wrote: I quite like parts of the album but I will not hide my general overall disappointment. Apart from some poor singing and some uninspired tunes on several tracks there is also the problem of the low budget recording. It's sad to see that JB has struggled for compositional inspiration in recent years and now clearly faces lack of funds to allow him a top quality Paris studio.

Lack of funds or lack of visa?
Tamando

[Avatar]

Chat Noir wrote:
I quite like parts of the album but I will not hide my general overall disappointment.

Well, when it comes to opinions, there can't be any real argument since tastes differ.

........ there is also the problem of the low budget recording.

This is not opinion....just plain wrong speculation. I take it you do understand the role of a producer

It's sad to see that JB has struggled for compositional inspiration in recent years

do you really expect to be taken seriously? what's your yardstick of compositional inspiration in recent years?
.. now clearly faces lack of funds to allow him a top quality Paris studio.

To add to Dr Frank's question, are you saying it takes lesser funds to record in london?
Someone has probably been misinforming you.
Chat Noir

[Avatar]

Any Congolese band that wishes to make complex modern music with layers of synthesizer and ornate instrumentation needs to be recording in a Paris studio with sophisticated production and post production techniques.

Studio Harrison sets the bench-mark for modern Congolese music. But it doesn't come cheap.

Compare sound quality of Koffi Olomide recordings to that of Kipe Ya Yo. Similar style of music and instrumentation; world's apart in clarity and musical dynamic.

Clearly JB did not have the money at his disposal to make his album in a really sophisticated studio.
EMO75

[Avatar]

Chat Noir wrote:

Clearly JB did not have the money at his disposal to make his album in a really sophisticated studio.

CN,, i really learn a lot from you but normally i feel your advise and reviews carry a virus (JB attack). Nevertheless,, you are right,, Anti-terro and KYY for example can not match Internet and TH recordings and have not met the std of most Koffi releases interms of good instrumental clarity. The difference is KYY carries pure natural rhumba tunes and vibes which DDM and SWI does not carry and thats y KYY carries the day. Thats Y when u look at the top 10chart,, KYY and Sens Identit struggle to tople each other coz Ferre and JB sing pure rhumbas which most congo fans including me like to hear,, Elegie,, Francis Solution.

¨In case u are a condemed person, kindly come over for a spray of Parco Rabanne so that all them that have condemed u give u a benefit of doubt¨

source: EMO Parco Rabanne
[Email] [WWW]
Chat Noir

[Avatar]

EMO75 wrote:CN,, i really learn a lot from you but normally i feel your advise and reviews carry a virus (JB attack).

If his product disappoints me then I will say so. You perhaps did not read my reviews of JB in the period stretching from 1991 through to 2000 (Bouger Bouger Makinzu through to Feux de L'Amour). You may not have read my ecstatic reporting of a dozen or so live concerts of the original Wenge led by JB.
Ronald

[Avatar]

Compare sound quality of Koffi Olomide recordings to that of Kipe Ya Yo.

Usually Koffi has released well produced cd's, but Danger de Mort was not one of them, I was very disappointed by the low key solo guitar, to me the most important feature.
Chat Noir

[Avatar]

Ronald wrote:
Usually Koffi has released well produced cd's, but Danger de Mort was not one of them.....

I suspect that even Koffi may be reducing production costs by employing less expensive and less adept engineers. Congo's economic slump may have hit even the wealthiest. If Koffi wishes to continue to buy his Louis Quatorze furnishings and fancy automobiles perhaps he has been forced to save money elsewhere.
Ronald

[Avatar]

I read that Emeneya did use the Davoust studio which costs 2500 Euros a day, he had been able to use this studio thanks to his benefactor Dikin ( Didi Kinuanu?).

Forum Index » African Music
Go to: