[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Koffi Olomide - Werrason concert still on  XML
Forum Index » African Music
Author Message
Tamando

[Avatar]
Joined: 27/01/2007 10:12:29
Messages: 450
Offline

Chat Noir,
The only fact you stated in your post is that JB sings better. JB has been Werra's leader in the past. Standing on the same stage at this moment, he will make Werra uncomfortable because he is both a better singer and a better dancer.
Chat Noir wrote:
Werrason is far ahead of JB in a Congolese music hierarchical concept.

Could you please explain what a Congolese music hierarchical concept is? phew!



Chat Noir

[Avatar]

Joined: 30/01/2007 12:50:56
Messages: 764
Offline

Tamando wrote:
Could you please explain what a Congolese music hierarchical concept is? phew!



It is nothing complicated:

Koffi is at the top in terms of long term popularity and credibility. In recent years Werra has arguably overtaken Koffi and become more popular amongst the Congolese youth. Globally speaking however - Koffi is still much more popular. JB has lost much of his popularity through non productivity and a certain lack of drive and business acumen (not helped by a "bad hair day" or two )

Yes JB is a better singer and was the former boss of Werra. That, however, has nothing to do with how things work in the Congolese music business: Papa Wemba is a better singer than Koffi and is his former boss. That did not stop Koffi taking the dominant position when they teamed up for the album Wake Up.

Werrason is a much better organised band leader and self promoter than JB.

Tamando

[Avatar]
Joined: 27/01/2007 10:12:29
Messages: 450
Offline

Chat Noir wrote:
Koffi is at the top in terms of long term popularity and credibility.

you probably mean "was"

In recent years Werra has arguably overtaken Koffi and become more popular amongst the Congolese youth.

Koffi is an arm and a leg below JB and Werra amongst Congolese youth. But it is good that you stress youth, because for the adult public, the is no comparison between JB and Werra.

JB has lost much of his popularity through non productivity and a certain lack of drive and business acumen (not helped by a "bad hair day" or two )

In the international scene, JB was been absent from the disc market but that is no longer the case. You might be a bit out of touch with the musical scene in Kin. At this moment JB is more popular than Werrason in Kin. Infact in the past, Werra has never beaten JB in any Fara Fara in Congo. Werra has been on a downward spiral since Temoignage and JB has been on an upward spiral since Bongolowayi. In Africa, since Feux de l'amour, the name JB Mpiana has been, and still is a more recognisable name than Werrason.
Talking about hair days, Werrason does not make the cut. With him, we talk about bad hair years not days I wouldn't even go as far as dressing

Yes JB is a better singer and was the former boss of Werra. That, however, has nothing to do with how things work in the Congolese music business: Papa Wemba is a better singer than Koffi and is his former boss. That did not stop Koffi taking the dominant position when they teamed up for the album Wake Up.


Unfortunately for this argument, it has been proven that even little Ferre can be Werra's boss and guide in a studio.

Werrason is a much better organised band leader and self promoter than JB.


When they come together, it will not be WMMM, it will be Wenge 4x4. On one stage, They will be singing and dancing Wenge oldies. JB will make Werra an uncomfortable man. JB is the voice of Wenge, not Werra.

All that apart, there is no actual concept in congolese music hierarchy, atleast not what you described. The only one real hierachy in congolese music is that of generations. The francos/tabu leys... the Wembas/ZLL.......the Koffis......... the Wenges......and finally the Fally's/Ferre's
strell


Joined: 15/02/2007 17:08:46
Messages: 115
Offline

Ronald wrote:It now seems that the Koffi Olomide - Werrason concert in Paris will take place as scheduled, Werrason had confirmed it.
tamando am just courious wich factors do you use to assess the popularity of jb and werra?because in case you dont know there is an official statement release from the press,yearly.About jb being the boss of werra,can you tell us what boss do and whether jb could do those to,werra,makaba or even masela and
Chat Noir

[Avatar]

Joined: 30/01/2007 12:50:56
Messages: 764
Offline

I'm afraid Tamando I can't really agree with very much you say in the above posting. Except for the fact that both JB and Werra have not got a clue about haircuts and sartorial elegance.

Sadly we will never know because Koffi & Werra as an equal billing will probably not happen, and JB & Werra as equal billing will certainly not happen in the near future.
strell


Joined: 15/02/2007 17:08:46
Messages: 115
Offline

Ronald wrote:It now seems that the Koffi Olomide - Werrason concert in Paris will take place as scheduled, Werrason had confirmed it.
and to finish about fara fara,can you tell us,whic factors you use determine who is the winner of a fara fara then tell us what happened during the 1999 fara fara of werra at the ville juive and jb at zenith,as well 2000 fara fara of werra at bercy and jb at LSC,and 2005 fikin fara fara.please give factors
strell


Joined: 15/02/2007 17:08:46
Messages: 115
Offline

Ronald wrote:It now seems that the Koffi Olomide - Werrason concert in Paris will take place as scheduled, Werrason had confirmed it.
and illustrate with cases.you could do the same to measure international succes
Chat Noir

[Avatar]

Joined: 30/01/2007 12:50:56
Messages: 764
Offline

strell wrote:....and illustrate with cases.you could do the same to measure international succes


I know you were asking Tamando to give factors for his opinion - but here are a couple of factors for my opinion that Koffi is internationally more popular than JB or Werra:

Koffi could perform today at New York's Lincoln Center and it would sell out to a totally non-Congolese audience (as it did when he debuted there a few years ago).

Koffi will sell out to a non Congolese audience when he plays in London in a couple of months time as part of the London African Music Festival.

Koffi could still perform virtually anywhere in Africa and sell out.

I don't believe that the names Werra or JB mean very much to most average lovers of "World Music", most of whom do not follow Congolese music very closely.
strell


Joined: 15/02/2007 17:08:46
Messages: 115
Offline


chat noir no doubt koffi is more popular than werra internationaly.the question i was asking tamando are about jb and werra,since somehow the topic has turned to this 2
Tamando

[Avatar]
Joined: 27/01/2007 10:12:29
Messages: 450
Offline

Chat Noir wrote:
strell wrote:....and illustrate with cases.you could do the same to measure international succes


I know you were asking Tamando to give factors for his opinion - but here are a couple of factors for my opinion that Koffi is internationally more popular than JB or Werra:

Koffi could perform today at New York's Lincoln Center and it would sell out to a totally non-Congolese audience (as it did when he debuted there a few years ago).

Koffi will sell out to a non Congolese audience when he plays in London in a couple of months time as part of the London African Music Festival.

Koffi could still perform virtually anywhere in Africa and sell out.

I don't believe that the names Werra or JB mean very much to most average lovers of "World Music", most of whom do not follow Congolese music very closely.


You will agree with me there is no fact in your post. "he could...", " he will..." , "you believe...." etc
What is important is: Is he doing any of those things now?..... No he is Not.

btw, are we now resorting to world music? Let's leave that to congolese music failures.
Chat Noir

[Avatar]

Joined: 30/01/2007 12:50:56
Messages: 764
Offline

Tamando wrote:
btw, are we now resorting to world music? Let's leave that to congolese music failures.


If we are talking about international success then we do have to consider the "World Music" audience.

Tamando

[Avatar]
Joined: 27/01/2007 10:12:29
Messages: 450
Offline

strell wrote:
chat noir no doubt koffi is more popular than werra internationaly.the question i was asking tamando are about jb and werra,since somehow the topic has turned to this 2

and to finish about fara fara,can you tell us,whic factors you use determine who is the winner of a fara fara then tell us what happened during the 1999 fara fara of werra at the ville juive and jb at zenith,as well 2000 fara fara of werra at bercy and jb at LSC,and 2005 fikin fara fara.please give factors


My post said Werra has never beaten JB in a fara fara in Kin. Have you heard the phrase JB Kolo Fikin? All kinois know that. Fikin is the property JB The 2004 and 2005 shows could have been too close to call but that does not contradict my statement that Werra never beat JB in a Kin fara fara.

On the other hand, the only Fikin concert till date that has entered Congolese winning statistics is JB fikin 2003 which was named biggest show of the year at the congo awards ( http://www.digitalcongo.net/article/27179 )

You must also be joking trying to compare JB's Zenith to whatever insignificant ville juive concert Werra had on that day. That's the official Congolese concert of the millenium you are talking about......... even though in my post I said I was talking about fara's in Kin.
strell


Joined: 15/02/2007 17:08:46
Messages: 115
Offline

Tamando wrote:
Chat Noir wrote:
strell wrote:....and illustrate with cases.you could do the same to measure international succes

tamado you have totally ignore my question!chat noir to illustrate koffi suprematie on the international level a good illustration are the big chart like stern ect...but i think the biggest difference between him and the others,lays in ORGANISATION,although that a area where a lot still need to be improved
Tamando

[Avatar]
Joined: 27/01/2007 10:12:29
Messages: 450
Offline

strell wrote: tamado you have totally ignore my question!chat noir to illustrate koffi suprematie on the international level a good illustration are the big chart like stern ect...but i think the biggest difference between him and the others,lays in ORGANISATION,although that a area where a lot still need to be improved


I assume you had not seen my last reply by the time you posted this.

Anyway thanks for reminding us of further proof that Koffi is not only falling in the Congolese scene but also in the international scene. Danger de mort was released at the end of last year and it's sales never even made it into the sterns charts. Talk about a free fall.
On the other hand KYY has entered the sterns charts at number 3. Even by your standards, JB is far ahead of Koffi and Werra in 2007 both in Kin and internationally. These are statistics not probabilities.
Heri

[Avatar]
Joined: 16/02/2007 22:55:18
Messages: 363
Offline

Chat Noir wrote:

btw, are we now resorting to world music? Let's leave that to congolese music failures.
If we are talking about international success then we do have to consider the "World Music" audience.
World Music is on top because it has a lot to do with culture. Some Westerners (especially in the US) consider modern Congolese music as the equivalent of Pop Music and worthless. To them real Congolese music is Konono. So they highly regard West African music because of the abundance of ethnic elements in it. What is the cultural feature in Lopele except for booty pimping? Sometimes one can have a more enriching experience with Nigerians singing in broken English than the Congolese in Lingala. There was a Nigerian group Zule Zoo that came to Texas in 2005 and had a spectacular show, which I almost passed because I thought it was African hip-hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY5ylQMOKCU
 
Forum Index » African Music
Go to: