[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Help With Some Lingala Words...  XML
Forum Index » African Music
ms bazu

[Avatar]

Ms. Congo16 wrote:I beleive Kala wold be Old and Zoki would be like cut or hurt.

My faborite phrase in lingala is Deux fois te. Or Na ndenge ya moki te.

aaah thank you. i was right about zoki in context but wasn't sure. just wanted to make sure!

hmm. my favorite lingala phrase is probably Nalingiyo too.
once i think it was 1999 rapper Talib Kweli came out with a song
about Love and Les Nubiennes sang on it. During the chorus they
say i love you in different languages and imagine my surprise
and happiness when they say 'NALINGIYO'
i almost did a flip! lol i was so proud i had to tell everyone they
spoke lingala on a talib kweli record!

what do the phrases you chose mean Ms Congo?

PEACE thanks again

http://tambourdafrique.blogspot.com
where ya miziki ya congo lives...
ms bazu

[Avatar]

my other favorite phrase (i've also heard it in Haitian Kreyol. it is probably a christian phrase but it sounds nice in lingala)

Nzambe atikala mwana na ye te.

Ms. Congo16

[Avatar]

My faborite phrase in lingala is Deux fois te. Or Na ndenge ya moki te

The first one is basically like slang in lingala and its used to assure something that you say. Like someone from werrason might say yeah we're comming to the USA and we're gonna blow it up and he might say deus fois te afterwards. Just reassuring what hey say. The literal definition tho would be not twice, wich doesnt make alot of sence when translated.

The other one means not in a little way. Wich is slang as well. ie; Tabu Ley can sing very well and they might say na ndenge ya moke te.

If I didnt do so well in explainig maybe someine else in the forum can help me out. Its kinda hard to explain

Bana maisonmere nde. Igwe azali.
aim icon
ms bazu

[Avatar]

Ms. Congo16 wrote:
My faborite phrase in lingala is Deux fois te. Or Na ndenge ya moki te

The first one is basically like slang in lingala and its used to assure something that you say. Like someone from werrason might say yeah we're comming to the USA and we're gonna blow it up and he might say deus fois te afterwards. Just reassuring what hey say. The literal definition tho would be not twice, wich doesnt make alot of sence when translated.

The other one means not in a little way. Wich is slang as well. ie; Tabu Ley can sing very well and they might say na ndenge ya moke te.

If I didnt do so well in explainig maybe someine else in the forum can help me out. Its kinda hard to explain

i was caught on the word moki but then you spelled moke. i get it now.
makes sense to me the way you explained it.

and the first one i just wanted to know how it was used. that's cool. i'm sure i've heard it before now that you explain it. my family members tend to speak very fast so i miss lil' things like that lol thanks

Ms. Congo16

[Avatar]

Glad to help.......

Bana maisonmere nde. Igwe azali.
aim icon
Tamando

[Avatar]

Advocate wrote:My favourite Lingala word is nalingiyo

that would be three words na lingi yo. Those, including "motema" and "bolingo" were some of the first few congolese words I learned. I remember learning Motema in particular backstage from one of the musicians (can't remember which one) after a concert of Alain Nkounkou and Lutchiana 100% in Bamenda Cameroon about 15 yrs ago.
Heri

[Avatar]

Tamando wrote:
Advocate wrote:My favourite Lingala word is nalingiyo
that would be three words na lingi yo..
That will be two words NALINGI YO

The verb "to love" = KOLINGA; you = YOU
I love you = NALINGI YO
We love you = TOLINGI YO
They love you = BALINGI YO
She Loves you = ALINGI YO

There are no stand alone pronouns before the verb in Lingala.
Werra

[Avatar]

Please.....grow up you all. This needless squabbling is now getting to my nerves. Frankly speaking.......the petiness is now boring.

Oyo lingi biso?..............Aya
Prof_Nuna

[Avatar]

Ms Congo - listen to the song "yamba nga" by Redy Amisi on Fin d'exil. That is the song to dance to that should be featured on your wedding too.
ms bazu

[Avatar]

Prof_Nuna wrote:Ms Congo - listen to the song "yamba nga" by Redy Amisi on Fin d'exil. That is the song to dance to that should be featured on your wedding too.

is this a remake of the Mbilia song?

clautjuh17

[Avatar]

i can talk lingala and i have no problem to help and maybe this advise will help. watch a lot of films of congo so you can also learn a few new terms that people use there in congo. Hope i'd had given you a good advise!!

WMM is tha bomb!!
[Email] [WWW]
ms bazu

[Avatar]

peace clautjuh17

here are a few words i still need help with.

gizunguzungu

nzu

samurai

[Avatar]

Hey...nice thread you guys got here. I have learnt quite a few words from it, and confirmed some I already knew.

I actually don't think I can understand whole songs. So I just get enough understanding the title, or what the artist is singing about. Like Franco's "Nabali Misere" (I'm married to misery) or "Kimpa Kisangameni" (Meeting of sorcerors/witches). Sometimes getting the title leaves me wondering what the whole song is about because the title says nothing.

One such is Bavon Marie's Maseke ya Meme (which I understand means "sheep's horn"). But what exactly is he singing about? Anyone know the song?

And what does Tshala Muana's song "Ci Catrice D'Amour" mean?
Ronald

[Avatar]

Samurai

The title is Cicatrice d'amour which means Love scar which is difficult to remove because it is not visible.
ms bazu

[Avatar]

to sangana
what does SANGANA mean?
never mind.

it means to get together

Forum Index » African Music
Go to: