[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Werrason in Brussels 12 - 05 -2007  XML
Forum Index » African Music
Ronald

[Avatar]

Yesterday I almost didn't want to go to the Werrason concert in Brussels, the reason was that there wasn't a direct connection due to repairs to the rails, this meant taking the train to the South of Rotterdam, then a bus ride of 40 minutes and then a train ride again, enough to put me of but I am glad I did go because it was again amost enjoyable night, when the band got into there first sebene and the singers started dancing all the tiredness fell away.

There were 2 surprises before the band began, the first was when we came to the part of the street where the venue was, on both sides of the street it was cordoned off by the police, there were several police vans and about 50 policeman and women, when we passed the roadblock we were first frisked before we could enter the venue, outside we just saw Werrason and Sankara de Kunta go to the roadblock to see what was going on, I called out to him and although he was rather preoccupied by what he was seeing he shook my hand and said "Monsieur".

As it was only 23.30 we could, to our surprise, already enter and were given a green wristband, later we found out that this was only given to the people who had come early and could watch the soundcheck of the band, when this was finished we had to leave the hall again. We only had to wait for about 15 minutes before we could enter again, I was very happy that the stage was higher than last time which made it easier for everyone to see the band, there were also 2 big screens hanging from the ceiling.

Before Maison Mere came on stage there was a nice Congolese trio who sang, Hip Hop, Soul and Reggae, I had seen them last year but then didn't like them but somehow I now did rather enjoy them, they sang well.

I estimate that there were about 600 people in the hall but it is difficult to make an estimate because it is rather big, there certainly were a lot more people then the last time we saw Werrason there last year. The crowd responded with a lot of enthousiasm to the band and certainly when Werrason came on stage at about 3.30, the band having started at 01.40 with a couple of instrumentals, one of which was a rather odd choice but the title still eludes me. Brigade also came on stage very late, around 04.00 and he got a tremedous reception.

It was again a pity that it started late but I think it is the fault of the public, Congolese people always come late, save a few. The band was impeccable as ever, great solos by Flam, but sometimes they were drowned by a much heavier sound, I am still not sure who produced it.

When I wasn't taking pictures I just stood listening and watching the band and immersing myself completely in the sound and what I saw, it was pure heaven. I am very much taken by the new singers J R Hollandais, Miel and Olivier, they sing and dance very well, but they all can dance very well it is amazing to watch them during the sebenes.

The concert ended at 05.30 and we left the hall completely sattisfied, and wished the rest of the world could just see this great band, when we wanted to leave Eboa Lotin stood in the doorway and I gave him a compliment, when we were in the hall of the staion half an hour later we saw him again, thsi time in the company of a girl and they were taking the train somewhere. Then someone greeted us and to our surprise it was an old friend of us from Rotterdam who had just come from Tunesia, he works for the Thalys and thanks to him and his special pass we could travel first class. When we arrived at Rozendaal again someone greeted me, it was a guy I know from work, our friend had also met someone on the platform and outside when we walked to the bus he again saw someone he knew, the bus driver turned out to be his stepfather. We arrived home at 10.00 completely knackered but can't wait for the next concert.

The hall at 23.45

JR Hollandais - Cappuchino - Olivier during the soundcheck, in the back Sankara de Kunta

Miel - Eboa Lotin during the soundcheck

Heritier - Miel during the soundcheck

The local support act

Mogratana

Flam Kapaya

Mimiche - Polystar

Mimiche

Ali Mbonda

Polystar

Kakol

Miel - Eboa Lotin

Heritier

Eboa Lotin

Miel

Jitrois

Theo Bidens

Flam Kapaya

Mogratana - Flam Kapaya

Prince

JR Hollandais

Miel

Eboa Lotin

Heritier

Werrason

Roi David

Anya Star

Bibicya

Linda

Giselle who couldn't dance because she fell and did hurt herself

Several of the many who came on stage to give money

Ms. Congo16

[Avatar]

Wow nice review and pics. What happen to giselle, she really looks hurt.

Bana maisonmere nde. Igwe azali.
aim icon
strell

Indeed great review.Thanks a lot Ron
Alex

[Avatar]

Ronald wrote: [b] Yesterday I almost didn't want to go to the Werrason concert in Brussels, the reason was that there wasn't a direct connection due to repairs to the rails, this meant taking the train to the South of Rotterdam, then a bus ride of 40 minutes and then a train ride again, enough to put me of but I am glad I did go because it was again amost enjoyable night

Great review and great pictures. I was unable to make it because some vagabond manged to break my car glass on saturday morning. The whole episode completely put me off

Ronald wrote: I was very happy that the stage was higher than last time which made it easier for everyone to see the band, there were also 2 big screens hanging from the ceiling.

What was the essence of the screens?

Ronald wrote:. The crowd responded with a lot of enthousiasm to the band and certainly when Werrason came on stage at about 3.30, the band having started at 01.40 with a couple of instrumentals, one of which was a rather odd choice but the title still eludes me. Brigade also came on stage very late, around 04.00 and he got a tremedous reception.

I would be happier if the concert starts at 01.00 (at the very latest) and stops at 06.00.

Besides, Werrason coming on stage at 3.30 and Brigade at 04.00 is disrespectful to the fans who have paid good money to see them.

Ronald wrote:. I am very much taken by the new singers J R Hollandais, Miel and Olivier, they sing and dance very well, but they all can dance very well it is amazing to watch them during the sebenes..

WMMM is synonymous with great dance skills

Ronald wrote:...we left the hall completely sattisfied, and wish the rest of the world could just see this great band, ....

They (Congolese artist in general) should try to team up with major promoters (e.g Mojo in Holland) so they get more gigs. They should also try to respect the fans by keeping to the time advertised. That way, they can attract more non-Congolese

Ronald wrote:...
when we wanted to leave Eboa Lotin stood in the doorway and I gave him a compliment, when we were in the hall of the staion half an hour later we saw him again, this time in the company of a girl and they were taking the train somewhere. ....

Being a star means you are always more likely to get girls than regular citizens....who says it is an equal world. I certainly don't think so

Make sure your words are gentle just in case you have to retract them
KAISARI

[Avatar]

...nice review/pics...despite her injuries Giselle looks good in her regular outfit...jus curious did she pegion off the stage...coz it sure don't look like any ordinary fall...

...THE TRUTH IS THERE FOR US TO SEE...
Ronald

[Avatar]

Ms. Congo16 - Strell - Kaisari

Thanks!

I shall ask Yvonne what happened to Giselle, when she came on stage I was buying a beer and didn't hear what was being said about her, but was just back in time to take a picture.

Alex

Maybe the promotors expected more people, hence the 2 screens.
Ms. Congo16

[Avatar]

I saw some clips on youtube it loos as though all the atalakus did REALLY GOOD ON THIER PARTS

aim icon
Paulina

[Avatar]

What a night!!! It was almost as if some president was visiting the Brussels' Event Brewery, well almost true, president Igwe Werra is going to perform... when last time the attendance of a special police team was hardly noticed, this time it certainly was, a great part of Rue Delaunoy was controlled by a team of more than 50 police officers, nobody could just enter the street, they not only frisked us but checked our bags as well... 'Why do you bring that much of water with you?...' 'Well I always travel with a lot of water...'

We walked towards the entrance and ran into Werrason and Sankara de Kunta who were just leaving the venue, every time I see Werra I see Sankara as well, this hardcore Werrasonique is always accompanying Werra...

Only fans who were given such a wrist strap had access to Maison Mère's sound check...

Normally we would wait quite a long time at the entrance before we're allowed to enter the venue, but this time we could go in earlier, we were given a green wrist strap which gave access to the sound check, how nice... Kapaya was busy checking everything, they played and replayed solos, the singers did some dance rehearsels, though they were concentrated they seem to have a lot of fun as well...

After the sound check we had to go out and wait till the venue opened again for the concert... I didn't see the point as we already had paid for our entrance fee as well... the only difference I saw was that the band had changed their outfits, they were now dressed for the gig...

We were first treated by a performance of a hip hop band of which one I could remember his name which was something like Master Jacks... they were quite good rappers and singers...

It must have been 01.50 when the band started the warming up session, halfway I saw some bandmembers had changed their shirts, they were now wearing FX thunder baseball team shirts... somebody had decided the band should all wear those shirts, so they were indicating each other to change, at the end almost every bandmember was wearing the same shirt, except for Kakol, I was wondering... 'Did he thougt the drum part couldn't be missed or... he just didn't like the shirt?' I think the last one...

As this concert was supposed to be a farewell concert I had expected the repertoire to be much more different than when Maison Mère had started with at the beginning of the tour, but there was hardly any difference, Werra did the same songs... lack of time to rehearse for other songs and dances?!?

At the start of the show I thought Kapaya's guitar was not loud enough, I could hardly hear Mogratana's mi-solo, it was as if this was corrected later, I will listen again when the dvd is out... at some point Coreen's rhythm guitar was louder than usual, I can't remember which song but it was nice though... Coreen and Jitrois seem to get along quite well, every now and then Jitrois was joking with Coreen, the two were doing some dance moves and had a lot of fun...

I was with some Congolese girls who had become friends, we knew each other from Fally's concert in Brussels... we all had decided Mimiche was the Fally Ipupa of Maison Mère, he looks a bit like Fally, forgive me for mentioning Ipupa's name in a Werrason review...

And when Werra came on stage the audience was delighted, Werra impeccably dressed in white and charismatic as usual made a great entrance, like last time he shook hands with the front row people... Werra the performer knows how to run a good show... he sang and danced in line with his bandmembers...

Not once had Werra and Maison Mère disappointed us, the band was great and the dances, especially the dances... I had said it before... the choreograpy of the dances was impeccably and fantastic as always... I was very delighted... Maison Mère sets the standard... unfortunately Anya Star, Bibicya and Linda had to miss their fellow dancer Gisèle, Gisèle had been so unlucky, she broke her knee by falling... the singers are all good dancers, including the new ones Olivier, Miel and JR Hollandais, and not to forget the new atalakus Brigade and Prince... they all got the opportunity to do a solo dance and show their skills... and they all are good but my favorite stays singer Cappuccino... what a great dancer... fast and powerfull...

Last weekend was the third time I had attended a concert in the Event Brewery, I've always thought it was too big, but now I like this venue, the sound in this hall is good, the stage was high enough for everybody to see the band performing... I also liked the T-shape of the stage, this way the stage was enlarged and thus allows more people to stand front row... there were two big screens hanging on the ceiling, on both sides giving us a view of the show, it must have been funny for the band to see themselves performing...

Since I became a member of Congo2000 I had met some of the members of this other forum... Dr Frank, Don Karleon, La Noblesse dans le Sang... to my surprise last Saturday Noblesse dans le Sang introduced me to another forum member kM-wR... I was quite surprised to hear kM-wR wanted be introduced to me... I felt honored as kM-wR like Noblesse dans le Sang is a nice person...

This concert had been a meeting of good friends, we've also met Benjamin, Donné, Henriette, Ida, Danny and of course Elodie Lipassa, everybody must know Elodie by now, her name is often mentioned on cds and she often is to be seen in dvds... Elodie (from Brussels) told me she can't walk in the streets of Paris without strangers recognizing her and calling her name...

written by a Werrasonique who happens to be a Koffiphile and Ipupaphile as well...

RAM DANCE Congo2000
EMO75

[Avatar]

EBOA LOTIN HAS THAT CHARISMA AND STATURE THAT TELLS ME HE IS ANOTHER HOT STAR OF DRC MUSIC. WISH I WAS AT THE CONCERT TO SEE IF WMM HAS CHANGED THEIR STYLE OF DANCING (SHIVERING IN THE MIDST OF COLDNESS )

¨In case u are a condemed person, kindly come over for a spray of Parco Rabanne so that all them that have condemed u give u a benefit of doubt¨

source: EMO Parco Rabanne
[Email] [WWW]
EMO75

[Avatar]

who is werrason's fashion designer and advisor???? god does not give everything indeed. otherwise good review of the concert and the pics are great.

¨In case u are a condemed person, kindly come over for a spray of Parco Rabanne so that all them that have condemed u give u a benefit of doubt¨

source: EMO Parco Rabanne
[Email] [WWW]
clautjuh17

[Avatar]

AAAAAAAAAAAAH why didn't I go to Brussels!!!! Poor me ilive to far from
Belgium next time i'l be in roozendaal i'll do everything to go!!
Plus nice picture's!!

WMM is tha bomb!!
[Email] [WWW]
Paulina

[Avatar]

clautjuh17 wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAH why didn't I go to Brussels!!!! Poor me ilive to far from Belgium next time i'l be in roozendaal i'll do everything to go!!
It's good to see a new face here... welcome girl...

clautjuh17 wrote:Plus nice picture's!!
nice blog...

RAM DANCE Congo2000
Antony

Ronald, are you a shoe freak! In my book, you can never have too many pairs. I like Heritier's the best.

WMMM always put on a great show. I have decided I must try to see them this year!
Paulina

[Avatar]

Ms. Congo16 wrote:I saw some clips on youtube it loos as though all the atalakus did REALLY GOOD ON THIER PARTS
I had asked Ron to take a close up pic of Brigade for you as Brigade was just walking around the venue after the show, Ron was about to go to Brigade when some people started talking to him, but after that Brigade was gone... too bad... I heard him saying he was going to Cosmos, Brussels' most popular night club among Congolese...

RAM DANCE Congo2000
Ms. Congo16

[Avatar]

The first thing I scrolled down for was a pic of Brigade. That was really cool that you thought of me while at the concert. Man I wish I was close to Brussell. I would love to go to go to a congolese night club oh my gosh how much fun I would have with my people.. But thanks so much anyways paulina and Ronald.

aim icon

Forum Index » African Music
Go to: